Wednesday 25 January 2023

ROBERT BURNS - POETIC PLEASURES

Another year, another chance to turn to Burns's poetry on this date of his birth.  And, as is often the way of things, it's a chance for some poetic diversion.


***********
With the grandchildren we tried some haiku recently (their suggestion). Here is one of Ellie and Harriet's combined effort:

Snowdrops on the ground

Snowflakes are ballerinas

Icicles cling on to rooves.


* * * 

and here is mine.... relating to the photo below which I took today at Geilston Gardens, Cardross.


Tree shadows reaching

Catch the light before it goes

Next time take the tripod.


***********



The closing of a book, metaphorically speaking:  this lovely man died in December and his funeral was last week. Neil Bell was in his mid 90's, a 'man of worth' (as Burns would say) who lived a long and fulfilled life.

I couldn't get to the funeral but Christina sent me the link for the video which was very well done.  In the service they recited this poem by Christina Rosetti.



Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little, but not for long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that once we shared
Miss me, but let me go. 

For this is a journey we all must take
And each must go alone.
It's all part of the master plan
A step on the road to home. 

When you are lonely and sick at heart
Go to the friends we know.
Laugh at all the things we used to do
Miss me, but let me go.

For all the many poems written by Burns I am not aware of any along the lines of this one.  

Ross Priory looking north on to Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond in the distance

*


Cairns Roses



No comments: