Tuesday 24 January 2023

GRANDMA GETS READING NO. 3

This week Ellie turned 8 years old. As luck would have it she was off school on Friday, her birthday, as the teachers were on strike.

She was with me for the afternoon and, because Harriet (off as well) was invited elsewhere for this period,  it ended up being just the 2 of us.  One to one!  That's when things can happen....! Like.....

Earlier in the week I had listened to her reading the book she had in her school bag.  It turns out it was not one for/from school but one she chose herself several weeks ago when in a bookshop in Newton Stewart with Mairi and Co.  When listening to her read I recall that I stopped her to sort out 2 words: 'ostentatious' and 'stifle'. I remember stating to her "M-m-m-m... this sure is good writing!" 

For her birthday I had purchased another book 'The Roof Toppers' by the same author, Katherine Rundell, at our local Oxfam shop and gave it to her for her birthday.  She recognised the author and because it was a wet day and we had the afternoon ahead of us we decided to pay a trip to see if there were other books  at the Oxfam shop and also our local Tesco's which has a Bring One - Take One bookshelf.  We didn't see any more. However we ended up in the library where we found these two:

This one is for Ellie...

This one is for me...

Now what interests me is that this little book  is by the same author. It is called 'Why You Should Read Children's Books Even Though You Are Old and Wise'!  Well I did... and I also watched a couple of videos of this gal!  Oh my goodness! I was really impressed!  Of course she has interesting things to say but she knows how to deliver it!... i.e. clearly has oratory skills.  Ah hah... she has an academic post at Oxford with Shakespeare and John Donne interests.

Now I do read (a bit!) and this is what I am currently trying to finish.  It is long and laborious but I am determined to finish it. Is there such a thing as a book being 'overwritten'?


The good news is that Ellie has loaned me her book she got in Newton Stewart on holiday.  And, yes, it is a good read!  I need to hurry up, however, as she keeps asking me what chapter I am on.  (I love the kids' description e.g. I heard one child say to another "Are you reading chapter books yet?")

So Thank You Katherine Rundell... we are off and running once more!






x

x

x

No comments: