Wednesday 16 October 2024

PHOTOS - BIRTHDAY BOY AND CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

As it was Don's birthday recently I came across these photos included here.


On his bike, aged about 12 years old (1957) in front of one of the flat deck trucks



[left] me, then Don, Beverley Pipe. Fluffy dog was hers; the dachshund is Rex Mears family pet (who lived next door to the Pipe family) Year: 1957 or 58


In Canoe Boat Basin with Les Treat.  This boat was fibreglass, olive green and the very latest thing, i.e. fibreglass. Year would be about 1960 I think.

* * * * * *


This photo must be about 1950 when I would be 6 and Don 5 years old. The line-up is [left] Don, then Donald MacLennan, Marcella MacLennan* and me.

We are sitting on a toboggan or else a sledge of some sort.  The bush in the background is a lilac bush, one of 2 that were outside the front door of our house in an area which was a flower garden.  Why do I remember all of this? Because one day, when my mother was asleep having worked night shift (which she did fairly regularly) my father bulldozed the whole lot to out to make space for the 'boys' (drivers and swampers) to park their cars every morning upon arrival for work.  When she woke up to find what he'd done... she was furious...throwing  crockery across the kitchen smashing all on the cupboard doors above the sink!

______________________________________________________________

*  I believe they were from Barra.  The dad was a social worker.





No comments: