Friday 27 September 2024

A MUSICAL MOMENT: JAEDEN IZIK-DZURKO UK PRIZE WINNER

On Friday I was listening to BBC Radio 3, as is my habit. It was the Leeds Piano Competition for under 30 year olds. It's a very high calibre, international line-up, held every 3 years.  I noticed that one of the five semi-finalists (Jaeden Izik-Dzurko) was from Canada.  I looked up his bio details and was astonished to find he was from my ‘hometown’, as they say in America, i.e. Salmon Arm, British Columbia.  It’s a small town in central B.C. built on the Canadian Pacific Railway line.

As it happens I am on the committee of the Milngavie Music Club who hold monthly concerts of international artistes of various types. The President sent out a circular to everyone giving the Head's Up about the final concert coming up (Saturday) because one of the artistes who played last year (pianist Junyan Chen from China) was going to be playing as she was one of the 5 semi-finalists.  I responded in the circular email stating that I intended to listen and mentioned that I had happened to find this chap in the list of 5 and why he stood out for me. (I’d never heard of him!) 

A couple of hours later…lo and behold… he won!…. and Junyan came second.  Such a coincidence and quite delightful!



No comments: