Monday 8 February 2021

WEEK 49 CORONAVIRUS - VACCINATION


Last week both of us received our Astra Zeneca vaccine.  Iain had no particular after-effects; I felt a bit 'flu-ey'for 24 hours (shiver, aching joints like I was coming down with something) but, of course, one would, wouldn't one?

I reckon  the word 'side effect' is mis-used.  If given an antigen for a virus (or bacteria) the shivery symptom and the rest are a sign of the body frighting off an infection.

To my way of thinking a side effect would be an unlooked for consequence, say a rash or an allergic reaction.

I read somewhere that there have been a few cases of people having an allergic reaction.  What it went on to say is that the people who manifested this had a history of having an allergic reaction under other conditions.  Well .... OK... but, as usual, you only seem to get half the story!

The UK being small land mass with population of 66 million which is largely urban, is an ideal place for high transmission (and I think sea and air ports are a big factor too).  On the other hand this island country has a 'captive' population for undertaking various types of studies.

When I was having the 'jab' (or 'jag' as they call it here) the doctor said that a programme has been set up now to follow the vaccinated population; to be done through General Practices and other related organisations.


No comments: