Sunday 22 March 2020

CORONAVIRUS - SELF ISOLATING WEEK 1

We have been advised by the government to self-isolate as we are of the category of being 'over 70 years old'.  Also both Iain and I  are mindful that we have a history of 'chest trouble', for different reasons, but none-the-less we are aware that we are 'at risk'.  Being the end of winter we feel that we are not as robust constitutionally so that's another reason we are self-isolating.  That means we stay around the house (though we have a garden and back on to a park). So it is time to hunker down.  My goodness, we are used to that: anyone who sails is very experienced in this!  The good news is that we know the tide will eventually turn!

In the meantime some images of our life this week...


This image of the chap playing the pipes came from John.  Wonderful!




Two notifications from our doctor's surgery about a week ago.

* * * * * * * * 

The children are now off school for 3 months.  As families are all self-isolating (or keeping their distance of 2 metres apart) we will no longer be seeing them. However I decided to compose a letter to pass along to Ellie (5) who can now read and Harriet (6) who reads well beyond her years.  (The idea is that they write me a letter back.)

This is my letter to Ellie.  It is a just little story about something that made me feel really old!

Dear Ellie,

It is spring and I am going to plant some seeds.   Last week I was in Marks and Spencer’s shop in Milngavie and the lady gave me a free seed packet with soil to plant the seeds.  

After school I showed the packet to Harriet and she read the instructions for planting while she was sitting at the kitchen table after school.  

It said   "Place the seeds in a saucer and cover with 50 millilitres of water."

She turned to me and asked “Grandma, what’s a saucer?”

Do you know what a saucer is?

During the week I was shopping in the same store in Milngavie and I told the young man at the check-out that Harriet said to me “Grandma, what’s a saucer?’  He looked at me with a puzzled expression... “Uh-h-h-h.  What’s a saucer?” he said.

Alastair was visiting this week because he and Grandpa were going for a walk after school.  I told Alastiar to read the instructions for planting the seeds.  He said the same thing “Uh-h-h-h...what’s a saucer?”

Do you know what’s a saucer?











No comments: