Thursday 28 July 2011

FORGOTTEN MUSIC

Summer reading is about summer listening as well. BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour has a gem of a story running just now. It is light-hearted and has lovely accompanying theme music. The radio story is "Martyn Wade's dramatisation of Ada Leverson's The Little Ottleys, a witty and wonderful social comedy... set in Edwardian London".*


Apparently there was a series in April 2011 which I missed. This title is actually a triology: Love's Shadow, Tenterhooks and Love at Second Sight. This is the Virago edition of 1982; 528 pages. The April series is not available on BBC iPlayer any more so I think I'll need to head to the library or Oxfam. I see the Gutenberg Project has them here.





This was used as the Theme Music. It is Forgotten Dreams by Leroy Anderson. I did not know this piece but it is very much of its age, i.e. 1954. It was only when I looked on YouTube at some of the other music by him I was astonished to find I knew most of them because we played them in the school band!

He born in Massachusetts, USA of Swedish parents: his father, Bror Anton Anderson, was from Övarp, Norra Stro, near Kristianstad in Skåne and his mother, Anna Margareta (Johnsson) Anderson was from Stockholm. More information is here.

______________________________________________

BBC Radio 4 website here.

No comments: