Thursday 8 September 2022

THE SECOND ELIZABETHAN ERA HAS ENDED - TAKE A MOMENT TO RECORD A POINT IN TIME

The Queen died this afternoon.  It was announced at 6:30 pm this evening.  We had just finished our evening meal and, having lit the fire, we moved into the living room and switched on the TV news. It came as a slight surprise as it was only in the early afternoon that the media stated that there was 'grave concern' about her.  Also at that time it was noticed that plane arrivals at Aberdeen Airport were bringing various members of the royal family. 


She died peacefully at Balmoral Castle later in the afternoon. (Only 48 hours previously she had received the new Prime Minister Liz Truss.  Photos of that meeting show The Queen to have lost weight and, certainly, she was looking frail.)


For most people they have known no other monarch. Everyone has their stories and memories: those who met her or were influenced by her, those who couldn't be bothered with her and all she stood for (of which Iain is one).  As a Colonial transplanted to this country I am a horse of a different colour!  And there I shall leave the topic!

As it is a historic day I wish to record, albeit in a rather haphazard way, what I was doing today. I certainly recall what I was doing on other momentous occasions e.g. Lady Diana's death. After that I will do the same with Iain and the grandchildren. It's simply a snapshot before we move on with our busy (or not so busy)  lives.

STARTING WITH ME:   


As usual I started the day with my usual hour of morning piano practice - trying to jazz up Bach. Then having made my packed lunch I headed off the to Balloch Park tree-planting activities in which I am involved twice a month.  It's down by Loch Lomond (40 minute drive).  I was out all day clearing sites of grassland before mowers moved in and then building bird boxes from scrap timber.  IKEA: look to your laurels!  (A note to myself: I drove D to the bus station half way through - hope he feels better soon.)


Took this photo of a leaf from the tree next to where I usually park.  It is Red Oak.  Also the first signs of colour are now appearing in the avenue of trees at the entrance of the park.


While dinner was cooking this evening I finished off the damson chutney I had started last night.  It's been a few years since I've done any of this.  Iain likes the bought stuff so I simply made a batch by copying the ingredients on the label. I managed to track down damsons at Christies independent butchers at Bearsden Cross. Results are a success.

IAIN AND THE GRANDCHILDREN:

Iain:  Last week he gave a Zoom talk to an engineering group in New Zealand.  He said it was weird talking to a screen where there was no feedback from a live audience.  Earlier this week he gave a Zoom talk to the Orkney Science Festival audience.  Topic:  energy (I think).

The children: just some observations gleaned from the past few days.

[1] Ellie (7 years) On Tuesday Ellie had a very early morning start with us (not something that regularly happens) as Mairi had a long day in Edinburgh with work.  I tried  Ellie with 'soldiers' toast and a boiled egg (which I used to do with the others when much younger).... "Yuk" says Ellie!.... Oh well.....

She spent some time showing me her 'diacritical markings' which she is learning just now!  Good heavens! I had to look up what she was talking about! The photo shows her working.  I hope her teacher  appreciates what a great job she is doing with this Little Person!  We also had a short session at the Craft Table thinking up original items to draw and colour in.  As I had her on her own I tried to get her to use the castanets to keep time when I played the piano; she's musical. Oh yes, I took to her gym class at the Allander.  Again, she's a wee star at cartwheels etc.

[2] Ishbel [15 years] is learning Othello this year (5th year). They've been shown the movie and then they study the play.  She asked if she could do some cooking with me this Sunday. We've a couple of ideas to do with cake decorating and baking either bread or scones - she hoovers up both!   We always have a bit of a laugh and call it our Test Kitchen because things don't usually go to plan.

[3] Alastair [14 years] goes out walking with Iain at least once a week after school, usually Tuesdays.  He is nearly my height and gives me a hand with digging in the garden these days as I am trying to clear bamboo roots which have spread.  He reads our TLS [Times Literary Supplement] every time he plops himself down at the kitchen table.  He is in 4th year and vaguely thinking he might look at studying history and archeology but basically no strong pull in any particular direction.  He and Iain chew over ideas and Alastair now expresses some of these without having to be prodded - impressive!

[4] Harriet [9 years] is very switched on, organised but takes ages to get moving! She's always been very 'together' and likes things done properly. I have to watch myself, e.g. during lockdown I was turning the pages of her reading book by licking my finger to turn the page.  "Grandma! You can't do that! You'll pick up/spread germs!"  Of course, she's quite right.  Also she checks me if I show any sign that girls can't do jobs that boys do.  [Ishbel is the same] If I need someone to lift something heavy, dig, pull etc and ask Alastair they point out that girls can do that job equally as well.  (M-m-m-m-m ... this is a difficult one!  I have to tread carefully!)

She eats anything and everything (unlike the others) but eats one item at a time on her plate... so I have resolved to avoid serving peas now as she takes ages as she singles each one out to be speared before finally putting it in her mouth!

She's now back into her grey school uniform which, as it happens, matches her grey eyes. She has (always had) long hair down to her waist and wouldn't countenance any change to that. Sigh....

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
And lastly we were out to have a meal with B and M last weekend. It has been ages what with B recovering from his car accident and the rest of us being mindful that Covid is still about.


M always lays a lovely table and a fine bottle of wine. She had prepared a meal of ostrich  and stroganoff sauce.  Iain and I were a little anxious about staying late after dinner as the light was fading. Both of us don't see so well to drive in the fading light or darkness so we reckon we really only want to be going out for meals during daylight hours. 

As they say nowadays "The nights are drawing in!". In 3 weeks the daylight will be deteriorating earlier as we pass the equinox and head into autumn and winter.

Meanwhile back in London....












No comments: