Saturday 25 December 2021

WEEK 92 CORNAVIRUS: CHRISTMAS IS CURTAILED

The infection rate has soared in the past week with increased restrictions either mandatory or suggest to help slow the spread.  Although the pathogenicity is not as bad as the Delta variant the number of people testing positive continues to increase. 

That meant that Christmas gathering with friends and family has been greatly modified. Instead of 10 for dinner this weekend it was a short visit to CVD to meet up in the porch, i.e. not in the house. Why?

Young Alastair, aged nearly 14 years, has tested positive so that meant 10 days isolation for him and the rest of the household.  This is Day 7.

We held a wee gathering in the porch at noon where we exchanged presents and had some pancakes aka 'blinis' and chocolate cake made by the lovely Syrian baker in Bearsden (a present to myself).





 * * * * * * * *  MEANWHILE * * * * * * * * 

Iain and I have found the supporting the local shops makes life a lot easier when it comes to giving each other a gift this year. (For example, we are not using public transport.) So I got him a jigsaw in the local gift shop 'Elba' which is a map of the Cullin Ridge in Skye.  He got me a bottle of Arran malt whisky in a local whisky shop (which, like butchers, has stayed open the whole period of covid restrictions for shops, restaurants etc.) One bottle lasts me about a year;  I really do enjoy a dram now and again!

Harriet keeps me up-to-date with her iMessaging.  I mean... do parents know their kids are doing this from the comfort/privacy of their bedroom?!  Be that as it may, I enjoyed a 10 minute (!) chat while I was sitting in front of the fire and she was getting ready for Santa's visit Christmas Eve.  I showed her how I put my stocking out.  I have a lovely Norwegian Christmas stocking knitted by Ragnar some years ago. I bought it at the Scottish-Norwegian Society's Annual Christmas Bazaar. It comes out every year.

And finally ... sent to me from a kindred spirit (if you'll forgive the pun)...



No comments: