Sunday 3 May 2020

CORONAVIRUS START OF WEEK 8

Another week has gone by.  We are all fine. I actually do not know anyone who has coronavirus but Iain has a one person he knows.

Mairi and John' gang are all well.  Here are photos taken today by John.





I have now finished my first pair of scrubs.  The pattern was sent to me from Kelvin College of Fashion.  I see that it is produced by Pdf Patterns.  It worked well, i.e. I like it and all pieces fitted together correctly. 


This pair (the pants are on a hanger on the inside.) was from a sheet given to me by my neighbour. The sewing machine is Mairi's. My mother's Bernina has given up the ghost.  It's  a long story.


* * * * * * * * Getting into the 21st century with banking * * * * * * ** 

I have been persuaded by the bank that I must access the on-line account, not by the old method of a wee key pad widget, but using my mobile phone.


This   is going to be another candidate for my 'Book of Bad Design'.  It is cluttered and full of messages about Avoid Fraud!!! etc as I try to figure out how 
to use it.


When I finally get the run scheme to work it either times out or 'isnay working'...

* * * * * * * * * LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE NHS * * * * * * *

The news is that we probably peaked about April 8th so we are now in the flattening of the curve zone. My experience is that everyone is observing the social distancing and understands that we are now looking at the beginning of the end.  Next week (May 7) is to be a review when we expect some restrictions to be lifted. Today, Sunday, apparently the coup/garbage dump has opened. Also some DIY and garden centres are opening with queues spaced out.  News item says that MacDonalds and one other fast food place are preparing staff for opening soon.


Iain played again for the Thursday 8 pm Clap for the NHS and workers.  All very much appreciated once again.  But we are now joining the Club Cruising Club for a Quiz Night on a Thursday after the Clap event so it was straight back into the house, fire up ZOOM and join the club members to test our knowledge of anchors, anchorages, weather, boat maintenance, flags etc.  It gives shape to the day; we really look forward to it!

 * * * * * * Milngavie in Lockdown this week * * * * * * * *

I was out for our 'open hour walk near home' home with Liz.  These photos give a feel for how quiet things are.



A new kind of litter. That is a mask. While I am on that subject: Just for the record - this week it has been recommended (by Scottish Gov't only) that people wear fabric masks in  places of unavoidable close proximity with other (trains, supermarkets).  Having spent time working with people in the cleanroom industry I recall studies done on particle dispersion using masks which showed that fabric masks are only good for dust and pollen.

It is now finally apparent that events with crowds, e.g. concerts, church services, football games, pop concerts, meetings or gatherings of groups of people are going to be on hold probably until a vaccine is made.  To that end, musicians, people who hire halls, those who organise events are living with a great deal of uncertainty. This week I have seen decisions made to cancel events of pretty well everything, now, this summer and into the autumn season. Schools are still out. Hairdressers, clothing stores, charity shops are still closed. It looks like restaurants, pubs, bars, and the like will be the last to allowed to open.

Travel, especially on airplanes looks worrying.  As one commentator stated it will be when we, the passengers, feel safe enough to be in the airplane (in terms of the spread of the virus) that will ultimately determine how the industry picks up again.
* * * * * * SOME LIGHT RELIEF * * * * * * *





No comments: