Friday 21 February 2020

SMILIN' IN THE RAIN

It's been raining... a lot. While Scotland has been having it day after day with the ground now sodden in many places, it is much worse in England.  They are having a huge problem with flooding: rivers bursting their banks, buildings and electrical sub-stations which are built on flood plains under water which recedes and then starts all over again as another weather system comes in from the south-west.



Edinburgh - images from their newspapers.


We are not affected by flooding but the 'mingos in the garden are looking distinctly 'drookit' [soaking wet].


The little tete-a-tete daffodils in the flower pot opposite the kitchen window are doing their best to hold up against the continuous downpour.

So there has been a lot of bad luck about because of the weather.

Set against that ...  I have to report that I have had a remarkably 'lucky' day!


This morning a friend in our Music Appreciation class asked if anyone would care to take up the offer of a spare ticket for Scottish Opera's production Nixon in China which is playing just now at the Theatre Royal.

As it happened, early this morning I looked on Scottish Opera's website to see if there were any spare seats left.  There were a few scattered ones.  However I looked at the price ... yikes!... (its been awhile since I have been to the opera)... and decided against it.

Then, as luck would have it, I was the only person to put my hand up...so... I am off to the opera this Saturday.  While I do not know the opera (I will have to do some homework here) I do know someone who is singing in it.

Then, before the morning was finished, a lovely lady of 92 years that I know gave me a box of chocolates at our class coffee break by way of thanks for giving her a book about one nurse's working experience.  This is the book: I picked it up in Waterstone's Braehead on a visit that Ishbel and I made before Christmas.

* * * * * *  One more word before I leave this topic * * * * *


Earlier this week I took this photo of some snowdrops in the park (the kids call it The Secret Park) at the back of our house.  It may not look like much but I planted those several years ago and and delighted to see (a) they have doubled in number ... as snowdrops do ... and (b) the squirrels have not found the bulbs!  For me, they are the best flower in the calendar!





No comments: