Saturday 21 December 2019

CHRISTMAS PREPARATIONS NO 1: GETTING IN THE CHRISTMAS TREE

I was confessing to Ellie (4) this week that I just love Christmas!  We listed all the things that she and I like:   Santa Claus and Jingle Bell Rock music and singing Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, the school nativity play, baking cut-out cookies, sending off cards and presents and so on.

So to start things off with the many photos I have now gathered of all these activities, here is Ishbel getting our Christmas tree several weeks ago.


She and I drove to IKEA and headed for the big fenced off area in the car park. It was pouring rain so we dived into the tent for cover and were greeted with the wonderful smell of coniferous trees.

We headed straight back to our house... actually we didn't; we had a quick trip to Waterstone's book shop in the Braehead Mall before we returned home and she got out all the decorations of many, many years to put on the tree.

This is a photo of Don aged about 10 years old where he and Billy Kalke were bringing in the Christmas tree which, I think, my father would have obtained in one of his trips to haul trees to the coast.  The year would be about 1955.

This is a photo of one of my father's trucks hauling a load of ... what I thought was Christmas trees, but I see written on the back of this photo:

1947 Fargo 3 ton with load of [Karl] Maard posts

The aspect of this photo is interesting.  The truck is parked on the edge of the Trans-Canada Highway where we lived at the top of Tank Hill near Broadview Road in Salmon Arm.  Mt Ida is in the far distance. Across the road is Don Ruth's orchard.
* * * * * * * POST SCRIPT * * * * * * * * *



Ishbel found these Christmas stockings which I have made over the years starting in Christmas 1966 when I made one for Iain (and his 3 other house-mates at that time).  

Harriet and Ellie discovered them stuck on the bookshelf like this and were really upset that there wasn't one for them.   The next generation has taken over both Auntie Ish's stocking and Uncle Alastair's.  It was hard for them to get their head around the fact that these were made long before they were even thought of!

No comments: