Tuesday 29 October 2019

WORDS THAT ARE DISAPPEARING (2019)

When I was setting up chairs for the music practice a couple of Sundays ago I was greeted by this smiling face at the front of the church: Raggedy Ann sitting amongst the harvest vegetables.


Andrew C,  a young lad of 12 years, was helping me set up. I said to him “Isn’t that a lovely Harvest-time display? What do you think of the rag doll?”   He looked at me blankly “What’s a rag doll?!!  Oh dear … it made me feel old!


Later that evening, I told this story to John, who is a GP.  He laughed and responded  “I was showing a patient how to blow into an inhaler and said “Just pretend you are blowing on a pea-shooter.”… “What’s a pea-shooter?” !


And finally, I was at a funeral last week and mentioned to one of the friends of the family that the deceased’s father had drawn out a very extensive and very beautiful (Irving) family tree … and that he even managed to show how his line went all the way back to … Adam!  He looked at me quite blankly; clearly the name ‘Adam’ meant nothing to him!… a sign of the times!

No comments: