Sunday 5 August 2018

'BLUEBIRD' FLIES AGAIN

Iain and I had a day out today.  We headed to Rothesay to see a boat 'Bluebird' which has been restored.

Donald Campbell used to test his jet-engine hydroplane  'Bluebird' to see how fast she could go.(He broke eight world speed records on water and on land in the 1950s and 1960s.) He died on January 4 1967 aged 45 when it flipped into the air and disintegrated as he attempted a new water speed record on Coniston Water in Cumbria. (He had set himself a target of reaching 300mph.)

In 2001 Campbell’s body – with his race suit intact – and the wreckage of 'Bluebird' were recovered from the depths of the lake.

The restored boat came to Bute this weekend on a low-loader from South Shields where  Bill Smith, an engineer, has since been lovingly restoring the boat to her former glory.

Here are some photos I took today on my iPhone.  




Quite by chance Iain and I arrived at exactly the moment the first test run was about to take place.  I simply held up my iPhone and managed to capture the start.  There is silence ... then the noise of the jet-engine  Va ro-o-o-o-m echoes across the lake! Wow!  (Takes me back to the days when I watched hydroplane races on Lake Okanagan at the Kelowna Regatta and also Lake Chelan in Washington State.)


Above is a video of 40 seconds at the start (with Iain in the foreground)





and a shorter one of 16  seconds at the end of the test run.




No comments: