Monday 28 February 2011

MUST GO DOWN TO THE SEA AGAIN

Yesterday, Sunday, we went down to the boat in Bowling Basin. The sun was shining as we sat in the cockpit and drank coffee with Peter. Lots of folk were out walking their dogs and generally having a look at the boats in the basin. One fellow came up and wanted to look through the boat as he had admired Seol na Mara but had never met the owners. He was amazed that this is the boat's 31st year and still the same owners!

The west entrance to the basin has not changed much: old hulks still lie in the mud at the entrance. What an eyesore! There is nothing sadder than a derelict boat lying rotting in the mud. (Well, actually there is ... I think a violin with its strings all loose and the bridge fallen over is a very sad sight to my way of thinking.)

Just to prove the sun was shining I just had to capture the mid-day shadows behind the wooden millenium posts (put in when they did up the Forth and Clyde Canal in 2000).

One of the rings at the edge of the canal. Lots of original bits and pieces are still in place around the basin including rings, hooks and bollards for tying warps.

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

I read the 14 posts you published while I was gone. I think I bought several of Alexander McCall Smith at the last Library sale but I have not read them yet. So many books – so little time as they say. Then I am always getting interested in new things – right now I ordered a book on the history of Hawaii. I see the work on your house is coming along. Your neighbors are nice. We had several trees cut from our front yard - they took the trees away but left some of the branches. We could not move them because it rained for two weeks so the neighbors went to the Police to complain that we were storing wood in the front yard – which is against the County’s ordinances. We had a fine. I guess you are not surprised that I don’t have many friends around here…. (I might if I had a southern accent…) Congratulation on being a grandmother for a 3rd time. My daughter is also having a 3rd baby – for July, so I shall knit another blanket while I watch Le Tour de France. You see your grandchildren often – so nice. I have not seen mine since Christmas. I am back – we had to hide downstairs as tornadoes went by – the sirens were howling. I knew something was up when this morning it was 75 (24C.) Thanks for commenting on my blog.