Saturday 17 July 2010

HEALTH BULLETIN NO. 12

Although Iain is confined to bed in order to stabilize the 2 cracks in his thoracic vertebrae he is in good spirits. In the post 2 days ago were 2 books from Helene in France - they are in his bedside cabinet so I do not have the titles - and today a book arrived from Dietrich in Germany.

Added to this I managed to get some 'over the counter' reading glasses (3.5 mag.) for him to use as he lost his good pair just before his accident. He has been using his previous perscription glasses which are OK but he is better with this short term solution.

When Mairi and I visited today we were able to have a look at the thoracic brace which is in his locker by the bed. This is a photo of it; this shows the front of the torso. You wear it outside your T-shirt. There is an 8 inch disc that is worn on the back of the torso. This disc has a Vecro strap on each side. This is cinched to secure the whole thing in place. The idea is that it gives support to the thoraco-dorsal spine. A lad in the ward is wearing one and he says it is not too bad to wear. Clearly it is not as restricting i.e. immobilizing, as I thought it would be.


When this is to be applied, I do not know. Maybe they put it in place and have to keep making adjustments to get it right for finally wearing.


The shape of it reminded me of the Order of St. John cross. This photo which I ''halo-ed' is of 2 men of the Order of St. John of the Jerusalem (Hospitallers). An apt analogy, I thought.


No comments: