Tuesday 31 October 2017

END OF OCTOBER MISCELLANY

Where has the month gone?  It's Hallowe'en.  As I await the Little People coming to the door this e'en I am going to gather a collection of outstanding events from this month.

In readiness for the Trick or Treaters:

Hunka Munka (IKEA many years ago) on our front door ballustrate awaits the little visitors.

 I made chocolate cupcakes - there is no call for any other type - with 'cobweb' decoration.  I must remember not to let the chocolate icing harden before piping the white 'web'.
Ellie as Snow White and wearing her 'must have' tiara.  She made us laugh recently.  As we came in from the park behind our house she noticed the moon in the evening sky.  "It's broken!" she says.  Yes... it was on the wane with part of it missing!

This is Ishbel this morning. I had prepared the scone dough; she cut them and placed them on the baking sheet.  We have had a few baking session this month in readiness for visitors (Alastair and Co) coming at Christmastime.  We have plans to make a Yule Log.  Often we muck up the recipe but half the Learning to Bake exercise is about resurrecting 'near' disasters. We create a new dish and give it a fancy name.  (Ish loves doing that.  She is a great wordsmith; loves rhymes and puns.)

Fifty years ago Alice gave me a Phillips hand mixer as a wedding present. Like the man who had the 'same' axe all his life, i.e. with three new handles and 2 new heads, this one has now been replaced for the fourth time.  I think of Alice every time I pull it out to use.

I have a problem and if I don't get this sorted my cover is going to be blown. I discovered that good ol' Marks and Spencer sell frozen chocolate chip cookie dough.  It is much better than I make, is quick and easy and worth all £2.45 or whatever it cost.


It is no longer stocked!  E-a-ghghgh!  The photo above is me trying to replicate what they do, namely, make the dough and chop or cut it in slices for freezing.  It really has not been a success.  No taste and runs all over the cookie sheet.

Alastair had his 41st birthday this month.  He wanted a Porche.  Uh???!!!  This is it: a Lego set which came in 4 boxes and a manual an inch think!


Iain and I spent last weekend at Crieff Hydro. The event was a celebration of Canada's 150 centennary with the Canadian Ladies Club.  We had a really nice time.  This big hotel in Perthshire would not normally be my first choice but we had a lovely 'Executive Suite' where we gathered for pre-dinner drinks and got to meet some of the husbands who came along with their wives.

Canadian flages on the dinner table.  The women are mostly like myself, i.e. married Scots and now live here.  A few are Scottish born but were taken to live in Canada as a small child, have Canadian citizenship but have now returned to live in Scotland either on their own or have married and settled back in Scotland.
Iain has been busy writing a paper about engineering but it is more about how to tackle problem solving, i.e. using engineer's way of thinking to solve complex problems. 

This is a silhouette of him ... my take on 'The Thinker'.



  


No comments: