Wednesday 6 October 2010

THE HERON WAS HUNGRY AND NEEDING TO SUP

I wasn't the only one out to get something for supper today. On leaving Tesco's in Milngavie - my local supermarket - I was wheeling my loaded trolley to the car park along the covered walkway over the River Allander when I was arrested by this sight below me ... a heron! He was patiently waiting, head cocked to one side then the other, for a passing fish (without the chips).


I guess the trees and bushes keep that space quiet as all around the area are people and cars coming and going.

So why not have a poem which gives a nod in the direction of Mr Heron? This one is from the Scottish Poetry Library here. It is about a Scottish frog (a puddock), a rather self-satisfied frog, who gets his comeuppance.

The Puddock

by John M Caie

A puddock sat by the lochan's brim,
An' he thocht there was never a puddock like him.
He sat on his hurdies, he waggled his legs,
An' cockit his heid as he glowered throu' the seggs.
The bigsy wee cratur' was feelin' that prood,
He gapit his mou' an' he croakit oot lood:
"Gin ye'd a' like tae see a richt puddock," quo' he,
"Ye'll never, I'll sweer, get a better nor me.
I've fem'lies an' wives an' a weel-plenished hame,
Wi' drink for my thrapple an' meat for my wame.
The lasses aye thocht me a fine strappin' chiel,
An' I ken I'm a rale bonny singer as weel.
I'm nae gaun tae blaw, but th' truth I maun tell-
I believe I'm the verra MacPuddock himsel'."

A heron was hungry an' needin' tae sup,
Sae he nabbit th' puddock and gollup't him up;
Syne runkled his feathers: "A peer thing," quo' he,
"But - puddocks is nae fat they eesed tae be."

________________________________________________________
Photo: taken on my iPhone

No comments: