Friday 13 January 2017

MACINTOSH APPLES

It's been a few years since I have seen these lovely apples... Macs from Washington State, USA. I found them in the butcher's shop at Bearsden Cross.

These are so much a part of my childhood.  We had an orchard (13 acres, I think) and these apples were in my lunch box every day of the year!  You never see them in Britain ... there are many other fine species, e.g. Cox but they are not a patch of these rosy red, flavoursome apples.

People of my age (war babies) recall getting boxes of apples which were shipped to the UK from Canada and the States.  This is what they were - Macs!

 
I got a Marks and Spencer voucher from Alastair and Dawn.  "Buy yourself something with a label on it." which, of course, means buy some wine which has an interesting label on the bottle. Here they are in the trolley. I will report on them once they have been tested.

And finally, Mairi gave me a tea cosy for Christmas.  My other one disintegrated.  It's old fashioned, I know, but I really like to have one to put over a pot of tea.  A folded over tea towel just isn't the same.

No comments: