Thursday 15 December 2016

WHEN IS A HOT SPOT A NOT SPOT?

When reading the front page of 'The Guardian' newspaper the other day I thought I spotted a typo.  I am one of these people who is a bit twitchy about such things. I know The Guardian is careful with its text so I was a bit taken aback.

The following photo shows the example.  The subject relates to the mobile phone coverage in the UK, lamenting the fact that compared to other countries it is not very good. It is worse than 
"Albania, Panama and Peru. Our roads and railways can feel like digital deserts and even our city centres are plagued by not spots where connectivity is impossible."
 

Not spots?  Surely that is an error? Somebody typed an 'n' instead of an 'h'?

Wrong ... it is a new word meaning places where there is no mobile phone signal.
 
It's a good word; I like it! 


This chap seems to have obtained a signal ....
 


...  unlike these 2 who are still waiting at Charing Cross in Glasgow.
 [Photo John Albiston]





No comments: