Thursday, 25 February 2016


From March 15 Canadians citizens will need to have their Canadian passports in order to travel to Canada – even if they are a dual national and have a British passport they will need to have their Canadian one.

This applies to me and to both of our children as we obtained Canadian citizenship for them as babies. We live in the UK and therefore it follows that
(to quote from their announcement):
"Canadian citizens holding dual nationality will be required to carry a Canadian passport to enter Canada. This means that even if you acquired British citizenship and have not had a valid Canadian passport for years, you will have to apply for one now. This includes your British born children who may have Canadian Citizenship, but who may never have never actually held a Canadian passport."

This becomes important when airlines are checking you in and ticking the boxes for clearance to travel.  Foreigners are required to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) clearance form*; Canadian passport holders do not need this.   The problem appears to be that if you are Canadian and not a passport holder there is no box that can be ticked.   GO automatically becomes NOGO.
The bottom line is: you will need to carry both your passports, British and Canadian to allow you to re-enter the UK on your return from Canada.
Passport applications forms and phone numbers are the web:

* If you’re a dual British-Canadian national, you won’t be able to apply for an eTA.

No comments: