Sunday, 19 July 2015



A strange sound from the other side of the fence prompted me to investigate.  My lovely neighbour, Mrs K,  was at the back door keening ... by that I mean moaning, wailing, clearly upset; not shouting out for Help or sobbing with tears.

 She had been electrocuted and was still alive to tell the tale. 

In her 80s, she had been cleaning a cupboard under the sink and decided to put the plug to the washing machine from its given place in the socket to the adjacent one.  What she did not know was that it then made the washing machine live due to faulty wiring/plug. When she went to take wet clothes out of the washing machine she got a jolt through her body down to her feet.

She was OK. Eventually we sorted everything out with Iain coming over to pull the plug etc.  Clearly things are a bit old in the house as must be the case in many houses of elderly people.

Her husband (these are his begonias) berated her for being .... you can imagine the rest!  He called the ambulance a bit later who found she was OK and then departed.

But it gave me a wake-up call about what number(s) to call and under what circumstances.  (It also made be appreciate the NHS and its emergency services!)

 * * * * *      WHAT EMERGENCY NUMBER TO USE     * * * * * *

999 for any or all emergencies.  They will deal with it if you have something that needs redirected because it is "less urgent".

Is EXACTLY THE SAME but applies to ALL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES (of which the UK is one) and neither has priority over the other.

   * * * * * *   HOWEVER  * * * * * *

Call 111 if  you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency or if you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service or if you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call.

POLICE - report a burglary, stolen car, public disturbance etc


REFERENCE:  This website explains it very clearly and also clears up misleading information:

No comments: