Sunday 13 October 2013

BOOK OF GOOD DESIGN: SHEDDING LIGHT ON TAX DODGING

Another candidate for good design: a Christian Aid postcard brochure I saw lying on a table in a church hall (where I seem to spend a lot of time!)

It was not the text (i.e. the content) that caught my eye but the fact that it was something that looked like an origami card.  I picked it up out of curiosity, first to handle it: heavy card, colour images, different fold-upon-fold sections.  Then, and only then ... did I read it.  Nine times out of ten I never get this far, i.e. I am often given or pick up something like this and it is cluttered, badly produced (e.g. blue text on black background) and therefore unreadable... straight into the bin.


No this one. Each fold-out section has an image of a figure as part of a Russian doll, i.e. one  inside the other with a clear message on each fold-out.


The text is about tax dodgers who are hiding their profits behind layer of secrecy.


They wish to open up the system so that the true owners of these phantom firms can be revealed.


 "The UK should set up a public register to real owners of all companies and trusts ... so that we know who owns what, where, and for whose benefit."






No comments: