Tuesday 16 October 2012

iDESPAIR

Technology is fine as long as it works.  The trouble is than when software is updated, usually automatically, things are not only changed around (which I find as I get older, more bothersome) but often simply do not work.

For example, I have a wonderful iPhone which does 101 things which I absolutely love.  But recent updates on the phone ... or maybe the Mac computer... or both ... left me in a situation where the iPhone was not syncronizing with the computer.  This showed up when I tried to download photos from the iPhone to the computer.  (I know it's a phone but I use it as a mini-computer/camera most of the time.)

So ... how do you sort this out? Basically, you have to "google" and fine out what others are doing about it.  And, yes, lots of people are having the same trouble - reassuring.

I spent hours and hours trying first one thing then another, always keeping in mind to change one variable at a time.

Alastair helped me on Skype to guide me to reinstall iTunes as this seemed to be the source of the problem.  Wrong.


I finally cracked it!

So ... the problem:  unable to synchronize my iPhone 4S (May 2012) with iOS 6.0 with Mac 10.7.5. Helpful search sites related to: "device not showing up in iTunes" or "Mac 10.7.5  not recognizing iPhone".

The answer: Reset the iPhone.  (You do that by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.  Hold them both until you see the screen go black. In some cases, you may need to keep holding them even after the red power off slider appears. If it does, just keep holding it. Wait until the white Apple logo appears.)

________________________________________________________________________
Photo of man and canoe:  I took that at Kip Marina, at the edge of the car park, this week.Both figures are of wood with a laminated glass-fibre finish on the boat.  Don't know sculptor.  The iPhone in his hand was made with the aid of Photoshop.


No comments: