Thursday 5 April 2012

A GIRLS' DAY OUT

Ishie and I had a Girls' Day today.  It is the Easter holiday and Ishie was here all day.  It all turned out extremely well as I had just signed off, first thing in the morning, the April issue of the yachting newsletter that I do 3 times a year.  After 4 proofs going back and forth, I finally nailed it this morning.  Done!  It is like finishing exams ... LET'S GET OUTA HERE ... so off Ishie and I went to have a jaunt to Mugdock Park.
Upon our arrival the whole pre-school playpark was under construction: an "improved" play area was being built in place of the old one.  The old one had robust logs and rope or chain swings and logs for climbing frames. The new one is a plastic kit-build which looks like it might last a year.  I was really disappointed.

However, all was not lost.  Hidden in the adjacent trees was an excellent play area for older children, done in the old style as can be seen in this photo.

Excuse me while I point out something:  that forest green pullover is one I knitted 30 years ago for my children but was never worn as far as I can remember.  It suits Ishie well both for colour and also for the fact that she doesn't like wearing a coat.


A celebratory cup of cocoa with pancakes and jam was our treat in the tea-room.  We were quite cold and I, for one, enjoyed every high-calorie mouthful.  Ishie and I have decided that we do not need to pine for The Three Chimneys restaurant for high-pleasure eating out.  (This is an extremely fine restaurant in Skye always, deservedly, in the "foodie" guide books.)  There are many chimneys at Mugdock.  Next time we go there we will count the chimneys on the castle and give it a new name: The X Chimneys restaurant.


When time hangs heavy for a wee girl it is amazing what a piece of chalk and a row of concrete paving slabs can do to in a long afternoon!  This is Ishie playing Hopscotch having laid down her own numbers quite correctly up to 25.

Today's Ishieism: When we arrived home from Mugdock, Ishie reminded me that I forgot to buy "slug propellents" (i.e. slug pellets)!!




1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

I also read the Elegance of the Hedgehog but did not know that it was this book as I read it in French – I also liked it a lot. I think I read it on a cruise which had French books in the library (think it was the Queen Mary 2.) We went to Nashville last week to keep company to eldest grandson while he had spring break from kindergarten. My last post has been my 3rd year blog anniversary – how time passes. It does not seem that long ago that I was reading your blog and telling you that I was going to start one of my own. I certainly have enjoyed it.