Monday 22 August 2011

"IN" TROUBLE

We thought that when Ishie went to school, as she did last week for the first time, she and Alastair would miss each other quite badly. (They are only 13 months apart in age and are always doing things together.) Wrong! Now that Ishie is away every morning, young Alastair is making himself much more vocal! He has become a right blether (as they say in Scotland, i.e. chatterbox).


They are both very good at language but occasionally a bit of straightening out is needed. For example, Alastair likes to tell us about his new cousin, baby Iain, who was born August 4th in Vancouver.

In the long flow of this story he tells us how his new cousin was born in Vancouver and lives in August!

Ishie, similarly, was practicing what I think are her stock responses to questions people ask: "I live in Primary One" and also at the same time says "I live in Glasgow." It must be really difficult to learn all these "in" phrases ... just think about being "in a hurry", "in bed", "in a muddle" etc!

But we always have a few laughs! The other day Mairi said to both of them "If you are not behaving you won't get ...." to which Alastair responds, "It's not fair! I am 'having!"


_______________________________________
Photo is John's holiday shot taken in Wales 2 weeks ago.




1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

First day of school, that is exciting. My grandson started his first day of school too, near Nashville. I hope they will teach him some foreign languages there. In his daycare they taught him Mandarin Chinese for one year – I hope he can go on with it. At home the French au Pair has been teaching them French – with an accent since the au Pair is Algerian, but it is good that they start foreign languages early. What other language has Ishie been taught? I read that there is a part of the brain which is opened for languages in children but closes after a while, so it is very good to teach them as early as possible. In France they start a foreign language in kindergarten too. When I was in school in France they did not start a foreign language that early – I was 12 when I went to Italian classes and 13 for English but I can still speak both foreign languages (plus the little bit of Russian, Arabic and Chinese I learnt along the way.) It is important in our global economy. At work I landed a good promotion because the Italian Air Force was coming for a couple of years in our corporation and I was the only one speaking Italian – I was in charge of all the Italian Air Force business at work and that was in Georgia!