Wednesday 20 July 2011

THE GAZEBO

We had Canadian visitors here last weekend: Jack B with Christie and Scott plus John and Debbie. The weather was really hot but showery so, as is our habit of years gone past, out comes some sort of makeshift umbrella.

When we had our 60 and 65th birthday garden party 7 years ago we had exactly the same weather watch. Only at that time we got out a huge plastic sheet (maybe it had been draped over the boat at one time?) and strung it up from the roof of the house joining it to the fence (of our other house). I recall water collecting in the corners like big saucers which then overflowed.



Not so this time. We purchased this gazebo several months ago so that Iain and Duncan could do building work in the rain. It has proved a wonderful structure and the following pictures show how we have simply left it up and rain or shine - and it is doing both - we are covered. (Believe it nor, it can get incredibly hot in that corner!)



See that table? That is another design feature of many, many years. I would not thank you for a plastic table and plastic chairs for a hundred reasons. Nowadays, the main one is storage. We, by that I mean, "I", am really, really touchy about gathering clutter. It is now a simple fact that we do not have anywhere to put such stuff! The good news is that we do have space ... and there CONTINUES to be space! ... in our garage ... for ... wait for it ... the car! It is heaven, absolute heaven. I will say no more.


Where was I? Yes, the table. It is 2 saw-horses with a piece of plywood on top. QED! It is stable for the occasions when little people (or big people, for that matter) bump it. It takes heavy weights like a big dish of potatoes.

Last weekend for our party of 11 I covered it with a large tartan plaid that I keep for covering tables for e.g. church/community hall teas, raffle prize table. (It is actually a piper's plaid - you know the kind they wrap around and pin at the shoulder - that I bought in the Barra's. Actually I bought 3 of them...probably ex-stock from some military band.)

Anyhow, where was I? Yes, the tablecloth. Well Mairi arrived and we had a cup of tea while the children played in the garden. I am here to say "The System is Working"! Furthermore, she had the bright idea of going out to buy a length of oilcloth from the local DIY store (a 2 minute drive away). Done! Her gift to us for the Granny and Grandpa sitting! And she got one for herself. Both turquoise with white polka dots.

And to top off the day there was amazing light about 9 pm when I was out planting some stuff I had been bringing on in crockery pots. The photo is "as is": light coming from the west with dark clouds on every other point of the compass.

No comments: