Thursday 16 June 2011

HAPPY BLOOMSDAY

If you like that sort of thing that is the sort of thing you like ... if you get what I mean. I have been following Frank Delaney's podcasts on James Joyce book, Ulysses. They are what might be described as a 5 minute English Lit lecture and I just love them. He has now done 52 of them.


Today, he states here that June 16th is two things: the date that the main character in Ulysses started his narrative and the first anniversary of his podcasts on said book. It also marks the end of ... Chapter 1!!! A whole year to discuss one Chapter? Yes! And that was glossing over a lot of stuff which he did not develop. The material covers history, literature, drama, philosophy, poetry, theology, politics (Irish and British), the theatre etc etc ... "a cornucopia of detail, much of it hidden beneath the surface".

I reckon it is probably the only way I will ever "read" Joyce. That being said, give me more!

No comments: