Wednesday 29 June 2011

THE FRAGRANCE OF ROSES

We have been away in the south of England. The weather was hot and rather on the muggy side while we visited a friend in Walton-on-Thames west of London. It was wonderful and ... the roses were out!

No matter if they are in parks, manor houses, cottages or roadsides, they are a feast for the senses at this time of year.

These shots were taken on my iPhone. I continue to be impressed with the sophistication of this splendid technology!



But best of all when we returned home I put my feet up in front of the TV for ... no, not the tennis which everyone else is watching ... but a BBC program Perfume. It is on iPlayer here and I think runs for 30 days.

Yes, it was about perfume and how a new line is brought out, say, in time for the Christmas market. But to me it was all about how to establish a brand and that it happened to be perfume was secondary as far as I was concerned. It's big business and this program covered both a French house and an American one comparing their approach to this task.

As far as selling perfume goes, it is the bottle that people go for first, the label or brand second and the actual fragrance third. I believe it. Hence the importance of the image and the advertising. There are more programs to follow.


1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

I love to look at roses in England – they look so beautiful and healthy. I also saw a beautiful rose garden in Portland, Oregon. Here the weather is too warm and humid.

Someone was saying that French people do not like Americans. So I explained that most French people cannot distinguish the English accents between the British, Americans, Canadians, Australians or someone else speaking English. Then, last month when I was in the market in France there was a group of school children near me. At first I thought they were Germans as I could not understand anything they said. Then I thought I heard “wait” so I turned to the little boy near me and asked in English, slowly, “where are you from” he replied “Scotland.” I certainly could not tell and I have been speaking English for a long time.