Monday 20 December 2010

CAROLS IN THE CATHEDRAL

Another year, another Christmas concert at Glasgow Cathedral. I go every year and this year was no exception. It was almost going to be an exception because the weather continues to make me think twice about moving about on the sidewalks (oops that is North American) ... I mean pavement (the area on the side of the street where you are supposed to walk) and pavement (oops again same reason) ... I mean road.

Anyhow where was I?

Everything is icy, icy. And then it snowed at mid-day making difficult to know whether it was going to go on for the rest of the day and/or evening.

I wanted to go as it is my music teacher who conducts the choir and it is a good chance to sing lots of carols. To make things easier for myself and also take the worry of how I was going to get home later, I booked a B&B for myself (Iain wasn't interested) at Babbity Bowsters, a pub which has 8 rooms and happens to be (a) 4 blocks from the Cathedral and (b) our regular haunt from the days of Iain being at Stathclyde Uni.

What a good move that turned out to be! I arrived early afternoon, met up with the owner and his wife and a few other folk who were getting out their fiddles for a session by the fire. After more chat and a short snooze in my room I had a proper meal and then headed up the High Street for the concert.


The Victorian statues around the Cathedral were given a lift by the light snow that had fallen on them. Here is an arty shot of Normal MacLeod, chaplain to Queen Victoria in 1957 (among other things).

The Cathedral was full, thank goodness, because it helps warm up the vast space. The only problem was the freezing cold draft from high up meant one's head got colder and colder! I always wear a large cashmere shawl that Iain got me many years ago so this functions as a draft excluder when the north wind finds its way through the stained glass windows!

Never mind ... I knew I only had to hike back slither back the 4 blocks to a blazing fire and a warm bed up on the second floor!

No comments: