Monday 30 August 2010

GUEST GARDENER

With Iain slowly recovering from his DIY fall in the house we have been leading a very quiet life. i.e. we are "At Home" like the Queen! He is getting on better this weekend. He feels he has turned a corner.

He changed to medication which helps reduce inflammation (of the muscles). The first time he took the new pills BINGO the muscle pain in his back disappeared. Now that means he will be able to move around a bit better. He does circuits around the garden to try to build up his muscles.


Our friend from British Columbia is now with us for 3 weeks so that means we have good company and good food (anyone else's cooking is always such a welcome change)! We have started putting the fire on at night so that calls for coffee and Calvados in front of the fire.


With the early autumn weather being so lovely it is a pleasure to get on with a few chores in the garden. Our BC guest, Alastair, helped out by taking the bay tree that I had hoped to plant on the east side of the house (still graced by 2 stories of scaffolding) and planted it in the herb garden next to Miss Wilmott's Ghost.


The gladioli are blooming this week but are somewhat hidden by other foliage in the garden.


These little plants I started from seed. I don't know their name. I found the packet in the bottom of the shopping trolly last spring when I was unloading my own purchases into the back of the car. I put them in a seed tray and here they are.





1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

My these are big glasses of Calvados! After drinking that I don’t think anyone would feel pain! Lovely flowers. I have never tried to start flowers from seed – it always sounded so difficult. But maybe I’ll try next year.