Sunday 25 July 2010

HEALTH BULLETIN NO. 15

Another day, another week. Iain has just over 2 more weeks to go before he gets out of hospital. After visiting him this evening - and supervising his exercises to help maintain his muscle tone - I spent an hour in the garden as it approached dusk. We have visitors arriving in the form of Alastair and Dawn this coming Thursday and then lots of other folk coming the following week for the Big Bash to celebrate Al and Dawn's wedding of one year ago. Really we should have visitors more often ; it's amazing how it sharpens the mind for tidying up!

I noticed that the little sunflower seeds I started off in March are reaching maturity. Here is the first one to flower!


While I was jumping about with the camera I noticed that this flower, or should I say the flower in this position, is the last point to catch the sun before it leaves the garden. This photo shows the flower head catching the last of the sun as the light goes, i.e. 9 o'clock in the evening. There is still light for another hour. As I write it is now 10 o'clock. It is now getting dark; the street lights have come on. This period of twilight or dusk, in Scotland, is called the gloaming.


This is the arty stuff. I Photoshoped this using a cutout filter. I wonder if Marimekko (Finnish fabric designer) gets her design ideas from such exercises?

No comments: