Friday 19 February 2010

TECHNOLOGY DOWNSIDE

Over many years I have worked closely with printers. I use Quarkxpress and work on a Mac (my own). Once I prepare whatever it is I am doing I drive to Ayrshire where they are located and hand in a disk or a memory stick with the file on it.

I work closely with a couple of people who hold my hand if I have a problem with layout or with the software. Over the years we have all moved over to digital technology - me, working from home; them, installing new equipment in the way of computers but also replacing machines in the factory.

Well, I am sorry to say, that this week they have gone into liquidation. And I am really gutted. I guess the internet, combined with the fact that we are in a recession has a lot to do with it but, really, I think it is more to do with the fact that people like me are doing the work at home that was traditionally their work. The new technology means that we can do this. And what must make matters worse is that I do this work on a voluntary basis. Anyhow, what we are seeing nowadays must be something like when they moved from quill and pen to the printing press.

Most of the people have worked there all their adult life. I have seen it happen already, I'm afraid. Where do these time-served, skilled people go? Well, one I know now works in B & Q.


Photo: taken this morning in the grounds of Kilmardinny House.


Yes, it is true, as G.E. says: "The problem for printing businesses is that Laser Colour printing machines are now relatively inexpensive and the software is also fairly inexpensive and simple to use so a lot of small clubs and businesses that used to use printing companies do it themselves. The other thing is that small businesses would have to order a decent print run to make their literature low cost. Then if the product changed they had out-of-date leaflets. Now they print only what they need as they need it and can up-date it as they go along."

No comments: