Monday 25 January 2010

THE PEN OF BURNS (NOT)

Two lovely people have been in touch and I know why ... today is Burns Night. As we are going to a Burns Evening next week today's date had passed me by. (Actually, Iain is away at a funeral in the north of Scotland - Ahhh ... the last of his parents' generation have now gone - that makes us the front end of the train!)

Where was I?

Oh yes ... The Bard. Well, as several people are raising a glass this evening in other parts of the world I feel I had better come up with something!

Actually, it started me thinking: Burns often wrote verse on the spur of the moment. Or maybe it was a case of Needs Must. Anyhow, here goes! (I wonder what he would have made of the internet and, more particularly, blogging? It is a long way from the pen and quill! )



I blog this night
Which is of Burns;
He would approve I'm sure.
He had a Muse;
I have a Dram -
Good Health to You and Yours!
(Or as they say in these parts: Slàinte Mhath [slɑːndʒə ˈva] )



Post Script:

My fountain pen:
Has failed its MOT.
It is suffering from old age (and decrepitude)
Like me.

Help:
Was at hand
In the form of The Pen Shop,
Glasgow.

Solution:
A new reservoir
And it's ... REINCARNATION!

Happiness:
Is free-flowing
Hand-writing
On quality
Stationery.

_____________________________________________

For what it's worth:

The whisky is Bailie Nicol Jarvie. Why? I like the label (and have happy associations with it). Does it (still!) have BNJ whisky in it? Well, uh-h-h... no.... When the bottle was finished I couldn't bear to throw it away and so I filled it with a bottle I happened to have in the cupboard. I can't remember what kind it was but it was good stuff! And it tastes better for it!

The painted card (showing Seol-na-Mara in Norway) is Peter's card to us at Christmas, i.e. Peter supplies the artwork and I get a number of them printed in black and white (by Crosbie's with whom I work) at Christmastime.

Pen and Ink: The rectangular cards "Zurna and Fiddle" are ones I had printed, again by Crosbie's. I bought one of John Gahagan's paintings: zurna and fiddle along with the jug of whistles and brushes - all of which have a story.

The pen I have had for many years; I use it all the time.



No comments: