Saturday 19 December 2009

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS

Surrounded by 'BH's' (Bah Humbug) as I am, I go off and make a point of enjoying all the fun and daft bits of Christmas that make everyone else cringe!

Probably one of my earliest memories as a child is walking along the streets in a big city (Vernon or Kelowna?) and looking in the department store windows at the Christmas window display. I was transfixed by Santa's elves hammering away at their work-bench, Rudolph's head bobbing up and down, etc. (Did I ever tell you that Iain absolutely laughed his head off - when we were first married and living in Chicago in the late 60's - when I, quite horrified, learned that Rudolph hadn't been around since Noah and The Ark, but was the product of a New York man's imagination*! I still don't really believe it!)

Where was I?

Glasgow, being Glasgow, is always jumping, be it youngsters heading to or coming out of the discos, football fans heading off to the game, Big Issue sellers on every street corner ... and no more so that Buchanan Street with its street musicians.



I came upon these these fellas (from a pipe band?) giving it laldy outside Princes Square (enclosed shopping area). They ain't elves but I find them just as appealing to watch!

**************

This photo and text was sent to me by Gregor who passes along fun stuff off the internet. I don't know the source, i.e. it is some man (I presume) reporting on his fun idea for a house decoration .... (I just find this stuff so-o-o-o funny!)


"[The] good news is that I truly outdid myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days. I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever. Great stories!

Two things made me take it down:

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost got wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder, almost killed herself putting it against my house, and didn't realize he was fake until she climbed to the top. She was not happy! By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that. My yard couldn't take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up into my yard."

__________________________________________________________________

* The song is by Johnny Marks which was in turn taken from the 1939 poem of the same title written by Marks' brother-in-law, Robert L. May. [Wikipedia]

2 comments:

Jinksy said...

I saw this Hanging Santa elsewhere, too, but this still gave me another chuckle. Loved your pipe band pic...

Vagabonde said...

This is so funny – at first when I looked at the photo I thought it was a real man hanging there. It would not work at my house as it cannot be seen from the road. Your grandchildren are so cute. We are flying to Columbus on Monday and I’ll see my grandchildren. I shall take photos and maybe place them on my blog. I have not done so yet because I started my recollections with my mother’s childhood and wanted to progress to my grandchildren. At the rate I am writing my recollections though my grandchildren will be in college before I get to them on my blog. So I might jump ahead to them. It is not very cold here yet, in the 50s (11 C) but in Columbus it will be in the 20s F (-4 C) with snow. I am looking forward to the snow part. I enjoy looking at your clips when you have them. Yesterday I placed my first clip on my blog – showing the Eiffel Tower at night. The tower is 120 years old this year and from Oct to Dec, 3 times at night, there is a light show, a few minutes long, to celebrate its birthday. It was nice watching it live. Here is the link to my blog: http://avagabonde.blogspot.com/