Wednesday 4 November 2009

CATCHING THE LIGHT

It is now November and the days are getting noticeably shorter. The leaves are going off the trees and the foul weather is upon us (flooding in many areas of the country). However, there was a break in the weather systems rolling in from the south-west. Ahh... sunshine! Out with the camera!


And out with some washing (which gets a soaking with the heavy showers that pass quickly over) and there it is dripping from the line. Yes, I know... but it still is better to bring it in fresh smelling and soaking than not to have at least some time outside on the line.

With the very good weather in October I was able to dig over most of the garden. My rule is "an hour a day". That way I don't get too tired or fed up with the work of it all. I don't have a porch (or similar cool place) for flowers so what I do is place them outside opposite the kitchen window. These flowers are from Mairi - see close-ups below.

The setts (rectangular cobble-stones) are piled there awaiting their new home where a friend is going to use them in the garden. There are hundreds in this garden (laid out in 1960). We will keep what is required for the up-dated layout and give away the rest.

The pots are planted with narcissus bulbs and other bulbs (unknown species) which I dug up as I was tidying the beds in the front of the house.

The good news about sunshine and showers - especially at this 'shoulder' time of year in the calendar - is that the angle of the sun's rays is lower which makes for wonderful light and shadows.

These photos of the flowers are "as is"... I have not touched them with Photoshop.


These will become amaryllis if they don't drown before flowering! I bought them in Lidl's (many items from continental Europe) ... very cheap; they come by the truck-load from Holland.

No comments: