Tuesday 27 October 2009

TOOLS OF THE TRADE

This is my saw. I guess you could call it a lady's saw. It is small, sharp and very functional. That this is so is not by chance. I get great pleasure using this saw. (I am talking here about small branches and the like).

I am very fussy about tools, i.e. I clean them after use and put them away in a dry (hopefully) place. I think I get this habit from my father - a very tidy person when it came to tools and equipment in the yard: "a place for everything and everything in its place". Yup. I'm a fuss-pot in that respect.

Furthermore, I have a friend (Bob D. Yes, he looks after his tools which he uses to work on his car and his motorcyle etc.) who gave me a great tip about the care of saw-blades. He said that if you just rub a little Vaseline on the blade (having dried it off first, of course) before you put it away, in this case, by placing plastic blade cover over the blade, you will always prevent it rusting and the teeth will remain sharp.

So, in the same way as when I bring out a recipe given to me by someone, I always think of him when I go to put the saw away at the end of the day!



No comments: