Friday 30 October 2009

NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE JAGS

Autumn is upon us and with it comes flu season. This year, being aged 65, I was offered the NHS flu vaccine. There are posters up everywhere telling people that if they are of a certain age or disposition (pregnant mothers etc) go and get your flu jab.

Two things:
[1] In Britain they call a vaccination a "jab" or - equally common - a "jag". It's a good word ... much better than "injection"!

Knowing the importance and effectiveness of vaccination, I wouldn't dream of not taking up the offer.

[2] This is all free. Over the past 6-8 weeks there was a lot in the UK media about USA demonstrations - a great deal of hysteria! - over the proposals to have "free" health care. (Nothing is free, of course; it is paid for by our taxes.) People who live in a culture of "national health service", i.e. free health care for all, find it incomprehensible that people would actually NOT want this coverage.


So ... nothing for it ... I don't have to agonize over how much it is going to cost me ... I just turn up at the doctor's office, get handed a number and go and sit in the queue. There were 6 staff on the day I went and it all went like clock-work. In fact, I ended up getting 2 jags: one for flu and one for pneumococcus infection.

Done. I did have a sore upper arm for about 3 days but that was it. I am here to report that the National Health Service is alive and well; I cannot sing its praises enough!


No comments: