Wednesday 23 September 2009

THE PEOPLE'S TENOR

It is not often that I am stopped in my tracks but today I was bowled over by this fellow! I decided to go into the city centre and coming out of the train station I could hear someone singing. As I neared Buchanan Street the most wonderful tenor voice filled the alleyway from which I emerged.

And here was this fellow (below) standing on the steps of the Glasgow Concert Hall singing Schubert's Ave Maria. A crowd had gathered and I joined them by sitting on the opposite sidewalk just letting it wash over me! What a voice! Who was he? What was he doing there? (It could have been Italy except that the temperature of the air and the out-of the-picture statue of Donald Dewer reminded me that it most certainly was not!)

His name is John Innes. "For the past ten years, this talented Scottish singer has been bringing opera out of the rarefied atmosphere of the concert hall and into the lives of the people by performing in sports stadiums, shopping centres and high streets all over the UK." [From his website here. ]

Apparently he is known as ‘The People’s Tenor’ and I can see why. He has an extremely pleasant, engaging manner and obviously just loves to get out there and SING!

He was highlighting the fact that he is due to sing in the Concert Hall in a week's time. And I cannot go as I am joining Maggie to attend a charity dinner.

A month later: I received a delightful comment (click on Comments below) which was from a fellow whose mum is the lady in the foreground of this photo. Amazing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Mum was telling the story of how she first heard of this guy, John Innes but she could not recall his last name, she was telling me over lunch that she was walking through the city center and heard this beautifull voice. She followed the sound and found him singing just as you did, when I went to look up his last name for her on my Blackberry I saw the picture that you took and low and behold there was the back of my Mum's head as she stood there listening in her wee blue jacket, isn't it great what technology can do. Rich(Chicago)