Monday 3 August 2009

RUBY RED VEG

Being the squirrel that I am - by that I mean that I like to fill jars with pickley things and put them on shelves for the winter - I had a session of making beetroot chutney today. I bought them at House of Bruar the other day on the way back from Inverness.

I love the colour of beets and make this chutney as much for that reason as for their value as winter food.

I use Maggie's recipe and it is an absolute winner. When she first let me try her batch last year I sat down and scoffed the whole jar.


It is basically beets, apples and onions with vinegar, sugar and salt for the pickling. I don't process the jars. I cannot see why this would be necessary as using vinegar is a preserving process itself.


Done, just awaiting the label "Maggie's Chutney, 2009". The gladioli are from Mairi and are just beginning to open. Being an M&S product I know they will last for ages (especially as I place them in the foyer for everyone else to enjoy).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These photos are reminiscent of culinary photography. You have missed your calling!

Vagabonde said...

This chutney looks very good. I have sampled some good chutney in restaurants in London, but here, I have bought a couple of imported jars from India, and they were not very good.