Tuesday 17 March 2009

GAMBOLLING

Tomorrow we are heading off to Perthshire (Dunira) for a few days to join friends. Thinking about provisions made me head for Ardgarten Farm (with shop and plants) which is sprucing itself up for the new season.

As soon as I parked I noticed that there is a polytunnel arrangement made for what could be called The Maternity Ward.

Here is the new mother with 4 (!) newborns. (I assume they are all hers.) Her offspring do not follow the Mendelian Ratio of 1 black, 1 white and 2 khaki. Come to think of it, I do not know the breed of the father.

Outside is bursting into spring. That field has the ewes awaiting their turn in the tunnel.


The upper field is the Nursery Area. The wee lambs were gambolling (frisking, frolicking) which I see comes from Latin gamba - leg; also Italian - to kick. (In Scotland ham is commonly known as gammon.)


And herself will probably produce lots of little piglets in her own good time. Meanwhile, she came over and said to me "Where's your friend Piggy, the Rocky Mountaineer? How's he - oink - doin' these days?"

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

I just saw a small ad in a magazine for the Aurora Explorer freighter and checked on the Net for more information. Isn’t the internet wonderful! I did find some info on it, but as well I found your blog! I have been marveling at your beautiful pictures and reading all your interesting entries. Your life seems so different from mine and so far away. I’ll read more of your posts. Thank you for sharing all this. My husband and I were thinking of countries we should visit in the future and Scotland was not included, but after watching your beautiful pictures, I shall include it for sure. I shall come back and look some more. Thanks