Tuesday 22 July 2008

WHARF WE'RE IN

The wharf is a short walk away. When it cools down in the evening folk - visitors, mostly - stroll down to the wharf and go out to the end. Tomorrow morning I am going to go out to the end to try something I have never done before - paddle in a dragon boat!


What's a dragon boat? One of those long 12 seater boats that I associate with Polynesian countries or maybe China. This lake is quite calm and for that reason there are numerous teams of ladies who head out early in the morning for an hour's paddling. Some are out at 6:30 am and return at 7:30 am for the next squad arriving to have their hour on the lake... and these early birds are the 80 year olds!

So watch this space! They plan is to head over to the other side of the lake for a swim. If I manage to last the pace it will be a miracle! I wonder if it is like riding tandem on a bike where I can let the front person do all the work? The good news is that if I fall in the water is warm!

In my youth the wharf was a working place with diesel pumps and piles of boards. The shore is marshland, no beach whatsoever. In fact, there used to be a Bird Sanctuary adjacent to it. There still are a lot of birds feeding here. These days it has all been landscaped and many different unusual trees planted, like this gingko, for example.

No comments: