Saturday 21 June 2008

MID-SUMMER VIRGINITIS

Ooops! Off at a tangent!

I have had to change my email address with the house move. Not really a problem one would think especially when it is with the same provider, i.e. 'in-house'. Not so. I moved from NTL email address to VIRGIN (who took over NTL) and it has been doing my head in.

So ... think positively! This fisherman's box for nets says "Get a grip and, if nothing else, make a note for other hapless folk on the net trying to sort this one out."


So here is the feedback: (this is all VERY specific. If you are not a Mac user, nor a Mail user on a Mac, this isn't for you.)

THE SITUATION:
Changing an NTL email account to a Virgin email account using the Mail email program on a Mac OS 10.5.3 computer as at today's date, June 21, 2008.

For what it is worth:

[1] Go into Mail - Preferences. Below the Accounts column on the left click on the plus sign. That starts the setup process. Fill in the boxes.

[2] Type in pop.virgin.net for incoming mail server

[3 Type in smpt.virgin.net for outgoing mail

[4] Various ports will work but I finally settled with 110 and the SSL off.

Finally, I had to disenable my old, original email account (ending in ntlworld.com). Do this by highlighting the old account (Preferences - Advanced) in the Accounts column then uncheck the top enable field. That eliminated (big) problems when settling up the new account.

It is possible to re-enable (and thereby see ALL your old emails) by simply clicking on the box again. However, I had such trouble when the old account was accessible, I dared not open it again!

No comments: