Monday 29 June 2020

CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN WEEK 15: STARTING TO COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE

Another week has gone by and little by little there are signs of shops and businesses slowly returning to a modified form of business, i.e. open but with social distancing.  The dentist is now open but for emergencies only.  I have a broken tooth; it is not an emergency therefore I am put on the list for the day when it can be fixed. Now ... I await patiently fo David, at the hairdressers, to open and start taking appointments!

Meanwhile I am trying to cultivate or should that be, celebrate, "the little things". 

For example: I decided to touch up the paint on the garage door.  (We are having some rooms in the house painted this week so it put in mind to smarten up this up-and-over door which I painted in Farrow and Ball colours nearly 10 years ago!)  It is under cover and so doesn't get much weathering.


If one thing old age has taught me it is to keep up the maintenance of things.  Put that job off and then you are faced with a really big piece of work later.  As someone who is a great believer in Soap and Water I started by giving it a wash down with Fairy Liquid (dish detergent).  


To my astonishment that was all it needed.  Not a big event in my life but it gave me an enormous amount of satisfaction ... happiness is a gleaming garage door!


Another small moment of delight ... bread flour from Gavins Mill called Seeded White from Shipton Mill, Yorkshire.  Gavin's Mill has been open for business on a restricted scale (orders to be collected). I bought some stuff and topped up the order with this unfamiliar flour.  It is just so flavoursome!  It's an ill wind, as they say.  [Just for the record, the GM purchase has now gone through.]

* * * * * * * * * * NEW WORDS * * * * * * * * * * * 

Another delight for me is to come across new words or new origins of words.  Here are two from this week:




* * * * * * * FOR THE ARCHIVES:  BLOG AS AT POSITION   * * * * * * 
The format of 'Blogger' (this blog's template) has been redesigned recently.... maybe June 1, 2020 or thereabouts.

February 10, 2021  I have found 50 posts are 'Draft' comprising most of 2020 and early 2021.  Some text corrupted but otherwise most OK.

No comments: