Monday 17 October 2011

GOOD-BYE MR McKIE

Mathematics was never the love of my life but I will say one thing: I was taught very well and it was by this lovely man who has died at his home* in France.

Mr McKie taught me Math in high school. That I got through at all was largely up to him (and Mrs Jeffries).


Is there such a thing as "good luck"?... because I certainly had "good luck" in the teachers I had at school. I graduated from Salmon Arm Secondary School in 1962 aged 18 years and then stayed on for a year of Senior Matric (which is first year university in British Columbia). In order to get accepted at the University of British Columbia School of Nursing in those days, I was required to have first year university Mathematics. (Yes, honestly! You wouldn't credit it nowadays but that is another subject!) Anyhow, I achieved the necessary qualification and graduated in 1967.

However, what really made an impression on me, in those very formidable years, was his great love of his subject.

For example, one day he put up on the blackboard a pattern of numbers. I now recognize as Pascal's triangle:


At the end of his explanation, he turned to the class and beamed "Isn't that a thing of beauty?!" While I did not share his love of numbers, their patterns and relationships, I could see what he was getting at. It was only many years later I realized he instilled in me what might be called an appreciation of aesthetics.

Furthermore, in 2002 Iain and I (and Marie-Belle T.) visited him and his wife in France at their home. We had 2 wonderful days together and at that time I was able to articulate how his love of his subject made such a big impression on me (and also how grateful I was to have had him as a teacher)! The photo of him above was taken at that time.

I have been unable to find any obituary so far but see that his death is noted on UBC Lowering the Flag website for the passing of a member of the campus community here .

"MCKIE, Professor Doug Mckie, former Associate Dean, Education passed away in France on August 28, 2011. For more information, please contact the Faculty of Education."

* I am in touch with his wife.



No comments: