Thursday 6 October 2011

GETTING TO THE CORE OF THE MATTER

As an Apple Mac user for ... however many ... years I was very sorry to read of the death of Steve Jobs, the fellow behind Apple and all its innovations. I, for one, joined his huge following early on as a user of the iMac and the iPhone. (To put it another way, I long ago eschewed Microsoft and Nokia.)


Working with images is the sort of thing that I chose to do, i.e turn away from typing text, letters, doing spreadsheets and working with databases like names and addresses. So I can genuinely say to people, "No ... I can't do that ... I do not have the software."

This puffin photo is a current example: this wonderful photo came in as an offering to be used for the yachting newletter publication that I edit. I took one look at it on my screen and said "Wow!" Such colour! Such clarity! And taken by an amateur with his digi camera on his sailing holidays.

Well I placed it in the publication and then ... ah-h-h ... it went to "the committee" for checking. Do I need to say more? Yes, it got pulled and an "improvement" photo was offered for replacement. Fine. Off it went to the printers and, indeed, the publication is none for worse for the loss.

But this little puffin and I shed a tear (with the aid of Photoshop).

I offer it up to you (with the permission of John Douglas who took the photo) at this sad time when Apple has lost its ... core.

No comments: