Sunday 24 April 2011

LOST LIST BROWNIES

Life being what it is, nothing is ever straight-forward. I set out to make some Brownies using my mother's recipe. Half-way through as I was mixing the melted chocolate, sugar and butter with the flour, He-Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless came over the horizon stating "I can't find my list". Turning to the task of searching for the Lost List, I returned to the baking bowl to find everything had solidified before I had it poured into the baking tin!

I plonked the hardened dough into the baking tin thinking that the heat of the oven would probably melt everything satisfactorally ... and it did.

Because the top look decidedly lumpy I made some chocolate icing to hide it - Q.E.D. In the background is my mother's recipe card as she had typed it out for me many years ago. I notice that I have written "Double it" on the top corner. That just about sums up my mother's baking! Large tins of whatever it was to be baked always were the order of the day!

Here are my test-kitchen tasters on our day outing at the National Trust Greenbank Gardens in Cathcart, Glasgow. The weather was not great but Mairi had packed a delicious picnic so we tucked into bagels and brownies in the courtyard.

No comments: