Monday 25 April 2011

EASTER CANTATA

I heard a catchy piece of music on the radio this morning. I came in at the end and the section I heard sounded like a Scottish jig by Sir John Clerk of Pennicuik who wrote some lovely ensemble pieces in the late 18th century here in Scotland. I rightly guessed it couldn't possibly be him ... furthermore, the singing was in German.

It turns out it was movement 5 (of 6) called Erfreut euch, ihr Herzen (Rejoice, all ye hearts) from a church cantata, (No. 66) for Easter by Johann Sebastian Bach. The link is here. I never associate church music - any of it - with jigs (or gigues) which are, by definition, jaunty 1-2-3, 1-2-3 rhythms. The full 30 minute work, with its variety of choral, solo and instrumental movements, is on another u-Tube site here.

No comments: