Saturday 5 March 2011

LA SOIRÉE BON ACCORDION

It was late before I got home last night from a soirée out at Ross Priory (Strathclyde University's country residence on the shore of Loch Lomond). Every month throughout the winter they are held and I do enjoy meeting and greeting old colleagues of Iain's and their wives many of whom I know from my days of Strathclyde University Overseas Wives Group.


Various folk gather for a a meal and then an evening of music. This month it was a Serbian accordion player, Djordje Gajic. He started off with Bach's Toccata in D minor (phew!) and played for an hour after our meal. Certainly a handsome fella who could fairly produce a big sound from the bellows of that instrument (especially in the left hand)!

I arrived early in order to spend some time in the garden. The gardeners are clearing some diseased trees (and I think the results are for the better which is not what I would normally say)! On entering the Lady Curran walled garden I came across this barrow outside the glasshouse.

Being the end of the day the light was not great but just for fun here is a cut-out of some glasshouse foliage. I would love to have fabric with all these colours incorporated.



1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

Une soiree d’accordéon – I envy you that. I hear it only when I go to Louisiana – there it is always for dancing. I don’t think I have heard classical music on an accordéon apart from “classical” tango music – they usually use the “bandonéon” though for that.