Tuesday 18 January 2011

TED TALKS

I am not a bit television or film person. Yes, I watch the TV news and quite enjoy British historical dramas or mysteries, e.g. Hercule Poirot just now on ITV3.

However something that I could watch again and again are the TED videos on the internet. I view them on my big (Mac) computer (full) screen. What is TED? Well as this website explains:

TED means Technology, Entertainment, Design. It is a collection of talks (speeches) which are videoed [is that a word?]; the selection is here. "The TED talks bring together the world's most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes)." The talk s usually appear to be given in a lecture theatre or conference hall.

TED organisers "make the best talks ... available to the world, for free. More than 700 TEDTalks are now available, with more added each week. All of the talks are subtitled in English, and many are subtitled in various languages. These videos are released under a Creative Commons license, so they can be freely shared and reposted."

I browse through the categories and am really impressed with the calibre of presentation. The topics vary greatly but the basic idea is that they must be related to creative thinking and/or original ideas. They range in length from roughly 8 minutes to 20 minutes.

Here is Naomi Klein, she of NO LOGO fame, a person I would love to meet or hear in real life. This is the next best thing!



The title of her talk is Addicted to Risk.

1 comment:

jmelfi said...

I sooooooooo agree with you about TED and you absolutely appear to be as fanatical about them as me. I carried my passion of wanting to share TED talks by creating videotalks.org --- a robust directory linking to sites like TED. (Actually I did so selfishly as I was overwhelmed by bookmarking so many great sites I found. Anyway, as one talk lover to another, please look it over and if you like it I would ask that you share it with your other readers. Your comments are most welcomed - jmelfi@videotalks.org. Thanks so MUCH for being another "Sharer of Great Talks" - Jim Melfi